Saturday, February 04, 2006

Ed Schein's career anchors

This Blog has been migrated from another server

Saturday, January 28, 2006

schein's career anchor

I took Schein's career anchor orientation inventory today. It more or less ratified what I have always thought was often true of my own inner reactions- autonomy and independence.
Having recognized this I still find it very difficult for me to come to terms with the ‘revelation’. I am tempted to attribute flaws in the questionnaire which prompted me to select a few dominant motives which magically then ‘characterize my career anchor’- on the other hand this anchor (autonomy) is certainly something that I would never consciously and given a choice trade.
My career, given my personal situation and circumstances, has not evolved in the classic sense of the word as Schein so eloquently describes. I wish it had. I had to take on General Management responsibilities very early in life – something that I abhorred but nevertheless accepted. I thought I did reasonably well in it too even though I never really liked it. Where I find cognitive dissonance is to recognize and come to terms with the fact that I will be ‘forced’ to do something for the rest of my life that I truly deep down don’t want to! As someone said ‘and pay you will the price of power’. Often we have to pay a very high personal price by compromising our inner beliefs, aspirations and transgress our comfort zones. I have this deep sense of uneasiness at the moment. It would take 3-4 hours to do justice to my innermost thoughts. Thoughts that I am still in the process of coming to terms with. I will write more later once I have been able to compose my thoughts and have a clearer sense of purpose , identity and self image.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home